Sunday, December 7, 2008

Response to post

Hi Deb,

In response to your question,

"Here is the question I hope you will weigh in on, what do you consider your best item of technology in the world of teaching or your world period?

To be honest, the greatest tools for me in teaching today have little to do with technology. The greatest changes in learning today come from the advances in learning methodologies. Understanding how people learn and supporting the success of every learner in an inclusive process that says, "if done right, every student in every class can be an "A" student" is what I focus on. The idea that it is ok for someone to fail is not OK in my world.

I hear it all the time, "Not everyone can have an "A" in your class, this is grade inflation!" To this my response is," if every student is not an "A" student, then I have not done my job or the learning process needs adjusted."

I know that this concept may seem abstract and that the mindset of those that have gone before me will say that I am simply wrong. The industrial age is gone and we do have the learning methodologies to ensure the success of every student. This is my focus with the doctoral students I work with and in working with my colleagues. We cannot allow the mindset and processes of the past to position our society for failure in a new world. It is my goal to change the way America thinks about learning.

Have you ever asked, "Why does a student need to declare a major when entering college?"
or
"Why are courses set up on a semester or quarterly basis?"
or
"Why are students required to go to a school house that is isolated from society to be taught?"
or
"Why does the American society view teachers and schools the way they do? Example; A teacher is paid $24,000.00 a year to teach our children!" Huh!

In my world, the whole picture is wrong. I do not have time to do a white paper on this right now but I can tell you that the evidence for supporting the need to do things differently is overwhelming. No technology is going to change this. This is a people thing.

If you are looking for one technology that I believe has had most impact on education today, it would be the Internet followed by email.

Dr. G

No comments: